About The Ministry
The Ministry of Tourism and Art was created on 10th July 2011 after realignment of Government Ministries by His Excellency Mr. Michael Chilufya Sata, the President of Republic of Zambia. This brought together the portfolio functions of tourism from former Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Tourism and the portfolio functions of Culture from the Ministry of Chiefs and Traditional Affairs. This was done in order to streamline and rationalise the functions and operations of the tourism and cultural sector.
The Ministry draws its mandate from the portfolio functions as stipulated in the Government Gazette Notice No 836 of 2016 as follows:
- Accommodation establishments;
- Arts Policy
- Arts centers;
- Culture industries;
- Culture Policy;
- Culture Centers;
- National Parks and Wildlife;
- Safari Operations;
- Hotels and Rest Houses;
- National Heritage
- Research in Arts;
- Promotion of Tourism Souvenirs;
- Travel agencies; and
- Tourism Policy.
The Ministry is also responsible for the following statutory bodies:
- Zambia Tourism Agency;
- Hotels Board of Management;
- National Heritage Conservation Commission;
- Hotels Managers Registration Council;
- National Museum Board;
- National Arts Council; and
- Zambia Institute for Tourism and Hospitality Studies former HTTI
Besides the portfolio functions, the Ministry is mandated under the law to ensure implementation of the following Acts as outlined below:
- Tourism and Hospitality Act No. 23 of 2007
- Zambia Tourism Board Acts No. 24 of 2007
- National Arts Council Act No. 31 of 1994
- Zambia Wildlife Act No.12 of 1998.
“To be a destination of choice with unique features thriving on well conserved natural resources, cultural heritage, and creative industries that significantly contribute to employment creation, sustainable economic growth and poverty reduction by 2030”.
“To facilitate and promote sustainable tourism and arts development and, culture preservation for socio-economic development”
The general strategy proposed for achieving this aspiration is captured in the Ministry’s value statement; “to uphold integrity, excellence, transparency, impartiality, courtesy and team spirit in discharging its mandate”.
- To increase Tourism and Arts Sector contribution to GDP from 2.1 in 2012 to 6% in 2016.
- To increase employment creation from 30,000 in 2012 to 300,000 in 2016.
- To provide policy and regulatory frameworks in order to create a conducive environment for Tourism and, Arts development and preservation of culture;
- To facilitate and coordinate the rehabilitation of existing and construction of new tourism, arts and culture infrastructure in order to promote the development of the sector;
- To promote research, investments, marketing, and product development in tourism, arts and culture in order to contribute to employment and wealth creation;
- To effectively manage and facilitate development of human resources in order to improve organizational performance;
- To facilitate and coordinate the provision of quality education and training in tourism, culture, arts and wildlife in order to contribute to their effective management, sustainable development and utilization;
- To promote and facilitate bilateral and multilateral cooperation in tourism, arts and culture in order to foster Zambia’s interests and meet international obligations;
- To plan, monitor, and evaluate the implementation of ministerial and sector policies and programs in order to assess their contribution to set objectives; and
- To provide administrative and logistical support services in order to enhance effective and efficient operations of the Ministry.